Looking For The Best Large Breed Puppy Food For German Shepherds?
Here’s a look at our favorites, including our top pick – Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Large Breed Puppy Food, Chicken, Salmon & Rice, 30-Pound Bag.
#1 Best Large Breed Puppy Food For German Shepherds
Don’t let anyone tell you that all dog food is the same. If you count your furry friend as part of the family, you should be feeding them wholesome, nutritious food that promotes a long, healthy life. When you’re raising a puppy, it’s even more important to provide purposeful nutrition to aid in their growth and development.
Different sizes and breeds of dogs have different nutritional needs. Large breed dogs carry more weight on their frames, so they need strong bones and joints to stay mobile. Large breed puppies also have a longer growth cycle and faster potential growth rate, so they have a unique physical composition that requires unique nutritional attention.
German Shepherds in particular have a few unique features that can come into play when you’re selecting what to feed them. In addition to having general more sensitive skin, German Shepherds have a double-layered coat with a dense undercoat. They’re more prone to hip dysplasia than other breeds, and they have a long muzzle with strong teeth and powerful jaws.
What to look for in large breed puppy food for German shepherds
There are more brands and types of dog food out there that you can count, so it helps to know what to look for, and how to recognize good quality. As you’re considering your options, here are a few things to watch for:
- Protein source – the protein in dog food typically comes from beef, chicken, lamb, or fish. A high-quality protein should be the first ingredient on the packaging.
- Fiber content – food that doesn’t have enough fiber can deregulate your dog’s digestive system, leading to constipation or diarrhea.
- Fat content – healthy fats are an important ingredient in dog food, but foods that list a fat as one of the first four ingredients may be using too much fat.
- Vitamins and minerals – generally speaking, just about every commercial dog food should have optimal levels of vitamins and minerals. The only time a vitamin or mineral deficiency is probable is when your dog is on a special diet, such as a home-cooked or raw-food diet.
- DHA – this fatty acid is good for brain and eye development
- Calcium and phosphorus – these help puppies develop strong bones
- Chondroitin and glucosamine – important amino acids for healthy puppies
Wellness is a family-owned company that raises the bar for pet food. Their dog food mixes use only the finest natural ingredients with no meat-byproducts, fillers, or artificial preservatives. Their Complete Health line of dog food is designed to deliver the optimal balance of protein, carbs, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals to support your dog’s vitality and health. This particular mix is specially formulated for large breed puppies with the following key ingredients:
- DHA fatty acid for brain and eye development
- Added phosphorus and calcium for bone development
- A purposefully engineered level of calories and healthy fats to encourage steady, paced growth.
Hill’s Science Diet pet food is the number one choice of veterinarians in the United States, so it’s definitely a brand that you can trust to provide purposeful, balanced nutrition with quality ingredients. The company employs more than 220 pet nutritionists, scientists, and veterinarians to develop premium pet food that promotes lifelong health and happiness. Like all quality pet food, you won’t find any artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors. This particular mix has the following key features:
- Supports healthy cartilage and joints with natural chondroitin and glucosamine
- Nourishes skin and coats with omega-6 fatty acids, vitamin E, and other important nutrients that are proven to make a dog’s coat shinier in as little as one month
- Balanced nutrition that is specifically engineered for large breed puppies, with all of the necessary high-quality proteins, natural ingredients, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids
Royal Canin is best known for producing high-quality, breed-specific pet food, and it’s a fascinating approach to purposeful nutrition. Dogs with different jaw structures, muzzle lengths, lip patterns, and biting patterns will each pick up kibble differently. Small breed dogs tend to have more stress on their spine, while large breed dogs will have more pressure on their joints and cartilage.
A dog’s skin is also a major factor, and just as each breed’s coat and fur are unique, different skin types and coats thrive with slightly different vitamins and minerals. With all of these factors in mind, this Royal Canin dog food mix is specially formulated for German Shepherd puppies with the following notable features:
- A kibble shape that’s easy to pick up and chew, but with a harder texture and larger size that promotes dental health
- Vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that support a healthy metabolism, stronger bones and joints, healthier skin, and a thicker coat
Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Real Meat Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food with Real Pasture Raised Lamb 40lb
Diamond Naturals pet food seeks to provide complete, holistic nutrition with the highest quality ingredients. This puppy food mix is specially designed for large breed dogs with the following:
- Probiotics and superfoods for digestive support and optimal nutrition
- DHA for optimal brain and vision development
- Targeted levels of protein, antioxidants, omega fatty acids, and minerals to promote a puppy’s natural growth and development
- L-Carnitine to help convert fat and protein into the energy that puppies need
- An amino acid profile that promotes lean, strong muscles
- Fatty acids for a better coat and skin
- Guaranteed levels of chondroitin and glucosamine
With Nutro Wholesome Essentials dry puppy food, high-quality protein is always the first ingredient. Their food is made with non-GMO ingredients, and you’ll never see any byproducts, wheat, corn, soy protein, fillers, or artificial preservatives, colors, and flavors. This puppy mix offers targeted nutrition with:
- Pasture-fed lamb and rice that’s rich in flavor and nutrients
- Omegga-3 fatty acids like DHA Brain and eye development
- Added vitamins, minerals, and nutrients for a full, balanced nutritional profile
You’ll know that you’re feeding your puppy the right food when they exhibit all five signs of good health and wellness:
- A shiny coat and healthy skin
- A regular digestive system
- Clear eyes, strong teeth, and healthy gums
- High energy
- A strong immune system